< 1 hour
A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Question and Wonder:
- What does my home or neighborhood look like from outer space?
- Does the whole world look the same as where I live?
Imagine and Design:
- On NASA’s website, research photos of what our world looks like from the International Space Station. Locate where you live and describe what you see. What colors do you notice? Is there more of one color than another? What does that tell you?
- Using your materials, create a planet that represents the way planet Earth appears to you. Now think of a new type of planet. What would it look like? Who would live there and what would it need to have for those living there?
- Tips and tricks for getting started on a balloon planet, visit: http://www.elmers.com/projects/project/paper-mache-planets
Test and Discuss:
- Compared to Earth, why did you choose the colors you did for your new planet? What do they represent?
- Tell a story about your new planet!