< 1 hour
A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Question and Wonder:
- How does art make you feel?
- Why do we hang art on our walls?
- What kinds of pictures do you like on your wall?
- How could create an art gallery on your wall?
- What kinds of art would you hang?
Find a wall in your room or house for an art gallery wall. Make sure to ask your parent or caregiver if it is okay to hang things on the wall and what they want you to use to hang the art. Create art for your wall or ask family and friends for contributions.
Imagine and Design:
- How big do I want my new art gallery to be?
- How many pieces of art will fit on your wall? If you’re not sure, have an adult measure your wall and help you decide how many pieces you can hang.
- Do I want the art to have a theme? Or a mix? What about including some photographs?
- How should you hang your art on your walls? Do you want to tape them up, or maybe use push pins? What about a string of yarn hung on the wall that uses clothes pins to attach your art?
- Do you want to make it so you can change the art on a regular basis or make it more permanent?
Once you have chosen the art you are going to include, lay the pieces out on the floor and play with different arrangements until you get one you like best. Create your gallery! Remember to ask before hanging.
Test and Discuss:
- Why did you choose those pieces?
- How does the wall make you feel when you look at it?
- Talk about the art on your wall with friends and family.
- Walk around your house and observe the art and decorations in your home. What do you notice about them? Is all the art on the walls?
- What other ways can you display art?
- How could you use that information to expand your gallery?
Did You Know?
Not only does art foster creativity and imagination, it’s also a great way to explore feelings and build empathy. Art allows children to process and express their feelings, both big and small. Reflecting upon their work and art by others can help them have a deeper understanding of other people.
Need some ideas on where to start your art? Here are some fun ideas for not only displaying your art, but ideas on what to create! https://artfulparent.com/ways-to-display-kids-artwork/Print Instructions