A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Using the chalk, make a grid on your driveway or sidewalk. Make 10 boxes for numbers or 26 for the letters of the alphabet. Write a number or letter in each box, in a random order.
Question and Wonder:
- How hard will it be to hop from box to box?
- Should you use one foot or two? Why do you think that?
- Which will be easier to follow in the grid: numbers or letters?
Imagine and Design:
- Can you help write your numbers or letters?
- What other shapes can you make the grid?
- What about changing the size? How will that change how you jump?
Now count to 10 jumping from one box to the other in the correct order. If you are doing the letters of the alphabet, then hop to each letter in the correct order.
Test and Discuss:
- Did you sing the alphabet song as you went from box to box? Did it make it easier to move?
- If you didn’t, try it. What happened?
- Do you know any counting songs? How will it help to sing as you jump or count out loud?
- How could you make the game harder?
- What would happen if you mixed the letters and numbers in the same grid? How many spaces would you need?
Did You Know:
To earn more about how movement helps learning click here: https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/movement/