< 1 hour
A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Music can be found all around us. You don’t need musical instruments or radios to create beautiful melodies, you can use objects all around you and create your own!
Question and Wonder:
- Do you have a favorite type of music or song that you like to listen to?
- Does some music make you happy? Are there any songs that make you want to dance or sing?
- How can you make music?
Imagine and Design:
- What items did you choose to create your music?
- What types of music will you create? Will your sounds be fast, loud, or soft and slow?
- Can you find music in the sounds?
- Have you ever wondered how instruments are made? How would you make an instrument? What would it sound like?
Test and Discuss:
- Go outside, close your eyes and listen. What do you hear? Open your eyes and see if you can identify the sources of the sounds you heard.
- Try imitating the sounds you heard with just your voice. Now add your own natural instruments.
Write a song that uses those sounds and sing it for your friends, family or caregiver.
Did you Know?
People have been making music for thousands of years. The oldest musical instrument ever found is a flute made from bone. It is 43,000 years old!
Remember, your child’s brain is a sponge, soaking up words, experiences, sensations. Even if they cannot speak yet, talk to them, with them, ask questions. They are hearing and absorbing, and you are giving them language for their thoughts.