< 1 hour
A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Question and Wonder:
- What would you do with your very own fort? Or cave?
- How could you make one?
- What would you do inside?
- How many people would fit?
- What materials do you think you would need?
- Do you want it large and airy or small and dark? Why?
Gather pillows, blankets, sheets, old clothes, chairs or other easy to move pieces of furniture to build a structure.
Imagine and Design:
- How will build with these materials?
- Where would be the best place to locate your structure? A corner? The middle of the room?
- Discuss or draw your design for your structure. Where will you put the door? Does it need windows?
- What items will work best to realize your vision? Why?
Test and Discuss:
- Did it work exactly as you planned? If not, that’s okay!
- What did you have to change?
- How did you stabilize your structure?
- What will you do in your structure? Read a book? Explore?
- Let’s pretend! Where is your structure? What is inside?
- Grab a flashlight and head out for your adventure exploring your “Cave”. Where did you go and what did you see? Tell someone!
- For more fun, explore: https://wonderopolis.org/wonder/how-cool-are-caves