< 1 hour
A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Question and Wonder:
- Why does the color of sunlight change when it shines through our curtains?
- What are other ways I can change how I see things?
Imagine and Design:
Gather various items – mirrors, cups with water, objects like pencils, flashlight, fabric and colored paper. How may I see my items in different ways using these materials?
Test and Discuss:
- What does the pencil look like if it’s in a glass of water?
- Without the pencil, shine the flashlight through the cup of water. What did you notice? What if you place the colored paper or fabric over your flashlight first?
- Describe to someone else what you saw and how you think we see.
Did You Know?
Explore the way we see, how to take care of our eyes, and videos from scientists in the field: https://nei.nih.gov/kids.Print Instructions