< 1 hour
A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Gather various items – mirrors, cups with water, objects like pencils, flashlight, fabric and colored paper.
Question and Wonder:
- Why does the color of sunlight change when it shines through your curtains?
- I wonder what the light would look like if you put a scarf over your eyes.
- How do sunglasses change how you see?
- What are other ways you can change how you see things?
Using the materials you have gathered, play with the flashlight.
Imagine and Design:
- How may you see the items in different ways using these materials?
- How does the light change as you shine it through the water? The fabric?
- What if you put things in the water? What happens?
- What does the pencil look like if it’s in the glass of water?
- What did you notice? What if you place the colored paper or fabric over your flashlight and then shine it at things?
- Try bouncing the light off the mirror. What happened?
- How else can you use the mirror?
Test and Discuss:
- What have you learned form your observations?
- How can you make predictions of how light will act based on what you observed?
- Describe to someone else what you saw and how you think we see.
Did You Know?
Explore the way we see, how to take care of our eyes, and videos from scientists in the field: https://nei.nih.gov/kids.Print Instructions