< 1 hour
A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Question and Wonder:
- How does each item (rocks, sticks, leaves and grass) travel? Do they swirl, fly straight, or drop straight to the ground as you let go of them.
- Where do you think they will land?
- How often do you think the wind changes directions or does it ever change directions?
Imagine and Design:
- Watch how your kite travels through the sky. What do you think is holding the kite up? How does your kite move when the wind gusts? I wonder what the kite would do if you let go of the string?
- Test tying the yarn to the cup and grocery bag and dropping from chair-height. What happened? You created a parachute! Test and redesign your parachute until it floats the cup down to the ground. Try putting small objects or toys inside the cup and see what happens.
Test and Discuss:
- Roll a piece of stiff paper into a cylinder and tape it. Add curling ribbon, crepe paper streamers, or other decorations to make a wind sock. Hang it outside your home and whenever you are outside, check it and see what it is doing. Does it move differently based on which way the wind is blowing?
- Make your own wind! Gather things around the house you can use to make wind. What worked the best? Gather some lightweight objects and see if you can make them blow away in your “wind”.