< 1 hour
A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Question and Wonder:
- I wonder what my world would look like if I were very, very small.
- Some of our world is too small to see, so how do we know it is there?
Imagine and Design:
- Imagining a world smaller than our own can be hard to grasp, so let’s start with how different materials like solids and liquids react.
- How do materials like corn starch that are solid react when we play with them? Now play with water. Describe the differences.
- What do you think would happen if we mixed the two together? Start with two cups of cornstarch and combine with a cup of water to mix. Your mixture should have a consistency so that if you poke the mixture it feels hard; however, if you hold your finger on top, it sinks.
Test and Discuss:
- Test putting your mixture into a ball, talk about your process. How long can you keep it in a ball?
- What do you think would happen if you bounced a ball on it?
Did You Know?
What is Nano and what does that mean? Download this Nano guide for “do it yourself” activities at home all related to the world too small to be seen. http://www.nisenet.org/sites/default/files/catalog/uploads/DIY%20Nano%20HRsm.pdfPrint Instructions