< 1 hour
A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Question and Wonder:
- I wonder what the world would look like to you if you were very, very small.
- What would life be like if you were an ant? A spider? A beetle?
- What would you eat?
- Where would you live?
- Close your eyes and imagine….
Go outside and look around for bugs. Notice where they like to be, where they go, what they do. Imagine what it would be like to be them. How would you look to them?
Imagine and Design:
- How could you build a hotel for bugs?
- What things could you use?
- Where would you put it?
Cut the top and bottom off your two liter bottle to make a tube or cut a hole in the side of your milk jug. Stuff it with the other items you have collected making sure to leave lots of nooks and crannies for the visitors to your hotel. Place it in a protected place.
Test and Discuss:
- Who moved into your hotel?
- What have you seen them do?
- Write a story or draw a picture about their lives. Put yourself in the story. Are you a friend? A hero? The villain?
Did you know:
Scientists have identified over 925,000 species of insects. Use the link below for some fun facts about some of our tiny neighbors.Print Instructions