A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Question and Wonder:
- What will a plant do if left in the dark? Do all plants do the same thing?
- Why are there different types of plants and where do they live?
Imagine and Design:
- Using a shoe box and some scrap pieces of cardboard, create a “maze” for a bean sprout to grow through.
- Once the bean starts growing out of the cup, what will it do?
Test and Discuss:
- Plant a bean in a cup of dirt and place at the bottom of your shoebox so when it grows, it is growing through the maze of cardboard pieces.
- How long did it take your bean sprout to grow? Compare that bean sprout to one that just grew in the light.
- What are other types of plants you can use to do another test?
Did You Know?
Explore what lives in dark places of Kentucky with the Mammoth Cave Junior Ranger program: https://www.nps.gov/subjects/caves/upload/Junior-Cave-Scientist-Booklet-07-15-2016_LowRes.pdf.