A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Question and Wonder:
- Why do we keep time?
- How can we tell time is passing without a clock?
- What things change as time passes?
Imagine and Design:
- How could you make something to measure the movement of time?
- What things around you can you observe to tell the time?
- How does the movement of time change you?
- Can you measure the movement of time through those changes?
Decorate your paper plate if desired. Print out the clock face. (Here’s a link to some: http://clipart-library.com/blank-clock-face-printable.html) Glue the clock face to the paper plate. Using the hammer and nail, make a hole in the center and insert the pencil (you might want to get some big person help with this part). Place your sundial in a sunny spot.
Test and Discuss:
- Where does the shadow fall on your sundial?
- Compare it with the time your clock says. How accurate is it?
- Check your sundial throughout the day. What do you notice?
- What does that tell you about the movement of time?
- What is the sundial measuring? How does this help us tell time?
Did You Know:
Find out more about sundials here: https://sciencing.com/strange-interesting-sundials-8631377.html