< 1 hour
A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Question and Wonder:
- Study your reflection. Do you look like you think you do?
- Put your nose right up to the mirror. How does that change how you look?
- Squint, close one eye, look sideways at your reflection. What do you notice?
- Put another mirror at right angles to the first mirror. Stick your face in the corner. What do you see? Why?
Imagine and Design:
- Imagine the mirror is a door to another world…a backwards world. What would it be like to live there?
- Would everything be backward? Would people walk backwards?
- Write or tell a story about life in this “mirror” world.
Test and Discuss:
- Your reflection is you only reversed.
- Look in the mirror and hold up your right hand. What hand is your reflection holding up?
- Hold up a mirror so your reflection is reflected in the mirror. Compare the two. Do they look different?
- Hold up a book or magazine or something with words so it is reflected in the mirror. What do you notice?
- Try using another mirror. Angle it so you can see the reflection of the words in the new mirror. What happened?
- How do you think the reversal changes your appearance? Does it.
Did you Know?
There are different kinds of mirrors. The most common and the one we use the most is a plane or flat mirror. In a plane mirror the image is the same size as the object and the same way up. Have you seen other kinds of mirrors? Where? What do they do to your reflection? As you walk around, notice all the surfaces that reflect things. What do you notice? How does your reflection change? What do you notice about things that reflect?Print Instructions