< 1 hour
A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
the action or process of innovating
a new method, idea, product, etc.plural noun: innovations“technological innovations designed to save energy”
Question and Wonder:
- Why do you think certain home features or appliances are made the way they are? Do you think they always looked that way? Why or why not?
- What are some ways to find out how things looked in the past?
- How do you think these same items will look in the future?
Do some research on the items in your home. Here are some places to start: http://www.explainthatstuff.com/timeline.html and https://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-shows/how-its-made/
Imagine and Design:
- What are some possible innovations, for those items?
- How could they work better or be more efficient?
- Could you make them to do more than one thing? How?
- What would be the ideal appliance? Why?
Sketch or write your ideas. You can get some ideas here: https://makezine.com
Test and Discuss:
- Does knowing the history or way something was made, make it easier to figure out how to come up with a new ideas for that item?
- Now that you have improved existing items, what about designing something completely new? What would it be? Do? What need will it fill?
- Show your ideas to your family or friends. Describe how they will work.
Gather recyclables and other items and build a model of your new appliance(s).Print Instructions